Osmun Music will close on December 24th at 4pm and reopen on Monday, December 29, at 10am so that our staff can enjoy a long holiday weekend. We’ll close at 2pm on December 31st and reopen on January 2nd at 10am. The weeks around the holidays are very busy so, if you need repair work during that period, please schedule it as soon as you can. (Click here to schedule an appointment online.)
All of us at Osmun Music wish our customers and friends a very Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a safe and prosperous New Year.
Choosing gifts for the brass players on your holiday list can be tricky. You want to support and encourage them, but it’s difficult to pick out things will be appreciated. Here are some ideas for presents that will appeal across a wide spectrum.
- A Really Good Mute. A professional quality straight mute is a basic item for every trumpet, horn, and trombone player. Horn players need a good fibre mute. Aluminum mutes are standard for trumpet and trombone. If your brass player is using a plastic mute or the old red-and-white fibre kind, a new mute will be welcome.
- Silent Brass/ Practice mutes. These specialized mutes for practicing allow a player to warm up or do basic maintenance playing without disturbing people in the next room.
- Electronic Tuners and Metronomes. Rhythm and pitch are the building blocks of performance. Everybody needs a tuner.
- Stands and Lights. If your brass player is using a wire stand at home you can bet he or she will appreciate a solid, strong, orchestral stand that can support a heavy load of study materials. A good stand light can be a life-saver in a dimly lit room or pit.
- Books. Books about playing, players, and performance broaden horizons.
Stocking Stuffers. Small, inexpensive, and guaranteed to be appreciated: